Well-known Chanukah words are understood by some as made up of the initial letters of relevant words. These are some examples:
– Chet Nerot V’halachah K’vet Hillel – “8 lights and the law is according to Bet Hillel (who said the number of lights should increase each night)”.
– Chashmona’im Nit’gav’ru V’har’gu Kol Ha’oy’vim – “The Hasmoneans became strong and destroyed all the enemies”.
– Chodesh, Shabbat, Milah, Niddah, Arusah, Yichud HaShem – the Hellenists attempted to ban Rosh Chodesh, Shabbat, circumcision, family purity, marriage and belief in One God.
– Mattityahu Kohen Ben Yochanan – “Mattathias the priest, son of Yochanan”: founder of the family.
– “Mi Kamocha Ba’elim HaShem” – “Who is like You among the gods, O Lord?” (the motto on the Maccabean banner).
– M-K-B – the final letters of Avraham, Yitzchak and Ya’akov, to whose principles the Maccabees were dedicated.